We look back with a thankful heart on what the Lord has done for the Church and its ministries. We are grateful for the many lives that God has placed through our doors and in our paths that have been changed and fulfilled because of His grace.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 12.25.41 PM.png

Pastor and Mrs. Donald B. Sheley founded the church in Colma in 1959 as Colma Community Chapel.  The first service took place on Saturday, October 3rd. In July of 1960, the church moved to Daly City and was incorporated as Calvary Cross Church. As the church began to grow, negotiations for purchasing the Portola Shopping Center, 1900 Monterey Drive, San Bruno, began in 1970. Truly, a miracle from God; the church assumed the existing mortgage and the equity of more than twice that amount was written off. We thank God for the gift.

Calvary Cross Church had a “pillow” service in the corner of the former grocery store. Each person brought a pillow or a chair to sit on. Palm Sunday (1972) was the first official service of the new church, now known as Church of the Highlands. The name was changed for two reasons. First, there were five churches or funeral homes that started with the name Calvary. Second, the big sign on the corner said “Portola Highlands,” - easy to change.   

On Fathers Day, July 5th (2006), Pastor Donald Sheley transferred his position of Senior Pastor to his son, Pastor Leighton Sheley. Pastor Donald Sheley continued to hold the positions of Founding Pastor, Pastor of Missions, and Preaching Pastor until his passing on February 7th (2016).

For 8 years now, Church of the Highlands has been awarded “The Best of San Bruno Award” in the Community Churches category by the US Commerce Association, Washington, D.C. God has truly blessed Church of the Highlands in so many miraculous ways during these fifty plus years. 

 We are humbled and honored by what God has done and continues to do here at Highlands.